Several areas in the region generate traffic for the Gateway Interchange:
BNSF Intermodal Facility in Edgerton, Kansas provides:
- A direct connection to the global supply chain via BNSF’s transcontinental railroad beginning in Long Beach, California and terminating in Chicago, Illinois.
- Multimodal transportation for goods imported from China and the Pacific Rim.
- The ability to quickly and efficiently ship goods by rail and truck to their final destinations.
KC SmartPort, a non-profit economic development organization, works to enhance the Kansas City region’s status as a leading North American logistics hub. Because the Gateway operates within the KC SmartPort region of influence, the efficiency of the hub is critical to both growing the area’s transportation industry and to elevating its competitiveness.
Johnson County Education and Research Triangle is a partnership between:
- Johnson County
- University of Kansas Edwards Campus
- University of Kansas Clinical Research Center
- Kansas State University International Animal Health and Food Safety Institute at the Olathe Innovations Campus
At the center of the Triangle is the Gateway Interchange, playing a vital role in stimulating the economy and elevating quality of life. In fact, over the next two decades, its economic impact is expected to exceed $1.3 billion.
Click above to hear Tim Green, Deputy Director and City Engineer at City of Lenexa, talk about the regional impact of the project.