Design-build refers to a process that allows KDOT to deliver efficient and cost-effective projects. A design-build team is made up of designers and contractors collaborating throughout an entire project to develop innovative and efficient solutions that satisfy a project’s goals. The benefit? Construction can begin at the same time designers are finalizing designs for later phases of the project.
Note about design-bid-build:
KDOT will continue to use the design-bid-build method, but sees design-build as an especially effective tool to address economic development projects or natural disasters requiring a quick turnaround. KDOT acknowledges the challenges of delivering large, complex projects with limited resources and competing needs across the state.
- Successfully deliver to Kansas its first major design-build transportation project
- Deliver phase two of the project within the T-WORKS budget
- Provide the highest value improvements
- Minimize travel delays during construction
- Complete phase two of the project by summer 2017
Click above to listen to Burt Morey, KDOT Project Manager, talk about the benefits of the design-build process.